eclectica

Originally intended as an eclectic discussion of various subjects, but currently mostly obsessed with Golf.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

My Correspondence Re: Kevin Na

Mr. Piras is a reporter in Florida, I wrote him concerning his description of Kevin Na as the "South Korean Sensation." I pointed out that Kevin is listed for the American team standing for the Presidents Cup, and that it would be more accurate to describe Kevin as an American of Korean descent. Read below his response and his logic on determining citizenship, nationality, and belonging in this great multi-cultural US of A.

April 16 Article -- Wind Dries Out Course Inbox

Don Sheu to mpiras
More options 9:01 am (13 hours ago)

Dear Mr. Piras:

Enjoyed your article on the MCI Heritage, just had a brief comment.
You described Kevin Na as the "South Korean Sensation," when in fact
he is American of Korean descent. The Presidents Cup currently lists
him at 24th for the American team
(http://www.pgatour.com/stats/leaders/r/2005/140). And if Kevin's
career continues on his current trajectory, I imagine he'll be
representing the US in a future Ryder Cup as well.

I notice this is a common mistake, I've even read a reporter's article
complimenting Kevin on his English
(http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php?page=golf&story_id=022605c1_corky&page_number=1).
This of course is one of the most dreaded backhanded compliments for
any Asian American, particularly for those who have been educated
solely in the US.

Best regards,

Don Sheu
ulysseas.blogspot.com

ReplyForward

Mark Piras - BG to me
More options 12:47 pm (9 hours ago)

Don,

I sincerely apologize for the mistake. The information I got was from the
PGA Tour, which lists his birthplace as Seoul, South Korea, and, if correct,
would make him a South Korean. According to his bio, he moved to America at
the age of 8, meaning that he was indeed educated in America but he still
technically is a South Korean.

Mark Piras


Don Sheu to Mark
More options 10:00 pm (3 minutes ago)

Mark,

Thank you for your kind reply. I enclose a link describing his
naturalization as a US citizen,
http://news.hawaii.com/article/2004/Jan/18/sp/sp02a.html.

I would disagree with you in regards to regarding birthplace as the
ultimate determination of citizenship and nationality. According to
dictionary.com, nationality is defined as follows:

na·tion·al·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nsh-nl-t, nsh-nl-)
n. pl. na·tion·al·i·ties
The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or
naturalization.
A people having common origins or traditions and often constituting a nation.
Existence as a politically autonomous entity; national independence.
National character.
Nationalism.

Kevin's naturalization as a US citizen makes it appropriate to call
him an American since he has renounced any former citizenship and is
entitled to the full rights and participation as a US citizen.

I was born in Seoul, Korea, but wouldn't ever consider myself a South
Korean. I was born with citizenship in Republic of China, an exile
of the communist takeover of China. I naturalized as a US citizen,
and consider myself American before any other identity.

Perhaps it would be a good question to Kevin what he considers
himself. I speak Korean fluently, and I know that linguistically in
Korean, Kevin would not be described as a "South Korean."

Best regards,

Don Sheu

1 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Don Sheu said…

    Sorry about the mistake on your location. I believe I read your article on a Flordia-based site.

    As far as blaming the PGA Tour for your inaccurate description of Kevin Na, that makes no sense.

    I've already made my point with the blog, readers can make their own conclusions.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home